|Raleigh celebrates the ‘M.A.I.N. Event’ in September|
|Published Wednesday, August 6, 2014|
RALEIGH – For the second consecutive year, Raleigh event producers who celebrate their “groove” in September have banded together to cross-promote the month of September as “The M.A.I.N. Event” in downtown Raleigh. M.A.I.N. is an acronym for music, arts, innovation and noise.
Mayor Nancy McFarlane offered a preview of each of the 20 events that will bring more than 400,000 people downtown. She pointed out that the events began clustering in September of their own accord and the trend is continuing. While 11 happenings were included in 2013’s M.A.I.N. Event, this year’s calendar list 20.
She noted that the month cannot even hold all of them, with the events beginning Aug. 30 with the African American Cultural Festival and the Ray Price Harley-Davidson Iron Elite and stretching into Oct. 4 with the International Bluegrass Music Association’s World of Bluegrass. A shared website, raleighmainevent.com, guides visitors to the events.
“September is the main month of the year in terms of major annual events in downtown Raleigh and becoming even more so every year,” McFarlane said. “While each of the September events is unique and has a dedicated following, there is a thread of music, art, innovation and noise connecting them. The resident or visitor who is planning to attend one event will have a great time sampling another in September.“
For more information, contact Jonathan Freeze, Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau, (919) 834-5900.
The M.A.I.N. Event calendar:
• Aug. 30 – Ray Price Harley-Davidson Iron Elite
• Aug. 30-31 – African American Cultural Festival of Raleigh and Wake County
• Sept. 3-4 – Hopscotch Design Festival
• Sept.4-6 – Hopscotch Music Festival
• Sept. 8-11 – Forward Triangle
• Sept. 9 – Raleigh Innovation Summit Startup Crawl
• Sept. 10 – Raleigh Downtown Farmer’s Market Honey Buzztival
• Sept. 10 – Raleigh Innovation Summit
• Sept. 11-14 – SPARKcon
• Sept. 12 – N.C. DataPalooza
• Sept. 19-Jan. 1 – Face of Folk: 30 Years of PineCone, City of Raleigh Museum
• Sept. 21 – La Fiesta del Pueblo
• Sept. 26-28 – Ray Price Capital City Bikefest
• Sept. 26-28 – Ray Price Motorsports Expo
• Sept. 27-28 – cityBuild@Marbles Kids Museum
• Sept. 30 – Oct. 4 IBMA’s World of Bluegrass
• Sept. 30 – Oct. 2 – Business Conference and Bluegrass Ramble
• Oct. 2 – International bluegrass Music Awards
• Oct. 3-4 – PNC Presents Wide Open Bluegrass
Send this page to a friend