Sports news & notes
The inaugural Gulf Coast Challenge – not to be confused with the former Golf Coast Classic – is this weekend between Southern and Alabama A&M in Mobile, Alabama. As usual the Challenge is not just a game. A kickoff concert, college and career fair, pregame parade and a tailgate party will also be held.
• Don’t I know you? Two Arkansas State transfers will go head-to-head when Grambling State takes on Alabama State. GSU QB Aldon Clark is 22 of 33 for 172 yards and zero touchdowns on the season so far, while ASU’s Darryl Pearson is 32 of 63 for 458 yards and two TDs. The contest will be streamed on ESPN3.
• Try and catch me: Prairie View A&M running back Dawonya Tucker leads the NCAA Division I-FCS with 603 yards rushing. He is the only HBCU running back in the top five in the nation.
• Not far behind: Arkansas Pine-Bluff wide receiver Josh Wilkes is third in the FCS in yards receiving with 500; that’s 166.7 yards per game, plus four TDs. The other ESPN3 matchup is Texas Southern at Houston Saturday at 8 p.m.
Over in the MEAC, noted games:
- Savannah State at Florida A&M, 6 p.m., ESPN3
- Norfolk State at S.C. State, 6 p.m., ESPN3
- Morgan State at N.C. A&T, 6 p.m., ESPN3. The Aggies are seeking their 16th straight win.
- Bethune-Cookman vs. Howard, 3 p.m., ESPN3; ESPNU, 10:30 p.m. (tape-delayed)
- N.C. Central at Duke, 6 p.m., ACC Network Extra
I thought I’d never see the day to say this: Winston-Salem State will host Virginia Union on – wait for it! – ESPN3 at 6 p.m. And, if you bought the new ESPN+ app, you can watch Shaw at Campbell and other HBCU matchups.
Where is Rick Grimes? The apocalypse is coming!